Wholegrain Freekeh, Artichoke and Fig Salad with Beetroot ‘Pastrami’
Serves: 4 starters
Chef Top Tip
"This is a delicious winter salad packed with flavour; an ideal starter or double up if you prefer as a main. The beetroot adds a slightly aromatic yet spicy heart-warming flavour to the sala; it's also great in a sandwich if you make spare!"
- 1 treviso radicchio lettuce, coarsely shredded
- 2 Belgian endives, leaves separated
- 150g baby spinach
- Bunch fresh watercress, stalks trimmed
- 200g wholegrain freekeh
- 8 marinated baby artichokes in oil, drained and halved
- 2 sticks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 fresh ripe figs, halved
For the dressing:
- Juice of 2 oranges (preferably blood oranges)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 75ml olive oil
- 15ml walnut oil
- 2 tbsp walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
For the beetroot ‘pastrami’:
- 4 raw medium beetroots, peeled
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix the pepper, salt, sugar, paprika, cayenne and coriander well together in a bowl.
- Roll the peeled beets in the olive oil then pass them through the spices, ensuring they are completely coated in the spices all round.
- Place in the fridge to marinade, at least overnight, or up to four days ahead if preferred.
- Preheat the oven to 175c
- Wrap the marinated beets in foil, place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 1-1½ hours or until they are tender; remove and allow to go cold.
- When cold slice thinly with a sharp knife, or for best results, a Japanese mandolin.
- Bring the freekeh to boil in 600ml of water then simmer gently for about 45 minutes until tender, drain well in a colander and leave to go cold.
- For the dressing, whisk together the orange juice, mustard and both oils; season to taste and add the toasted walnuts.
- Place the lettuce, endive, celery, artichokes and cooked freekeh in a bowl along with the figs; pour over the dressing, toss gently together and season to taste.
- Dress on four plates, garnish with the sliced beetroot pastrami to one side and serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.