Thai Coconut Rice Pudding with Roasted Spiced Fruits
Chef Top Tip
"Everyone loves a rice pudding. It’s perhaps the most comforting of the classic British desserts. Here is a lovely Thai-inspired recipe that never fails to impress – either served on its own or topped with spice roasted fruits."
For the pudding:
- 300ml coconut milk
- 150ml full fat milk
- 55g light brown sugar
- 60g pudding rice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 100ml double cream [optional]
For the spiced fruits:
- Selection of fruits such as wedges of pineapple, mango, sliced bananas
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 large pinch lemongrass
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- Start by placing the rice, coconut milk, milk, lemon zest, vanilla and sugar in a pan.
- Slowly bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Cover the mixture and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove it from the heat. Leave it to one side while you prepare the fruit.
- Place the butter, syrup, lemongrass, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar in small pan and heat gently until melted.
- Pour the mixture over the fruits in a small baking tin, mix well and place in a pre-heated oven at 200c for 15-20 minutes. Cook until the fruit is lightly caramelised.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.
- To serve, divide the rice pudding between four serving bowls, adding the cream if you are using it.
- Top each bowl with some spice-roasted fruits and serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.