Spicy Harissa and Tahini Tempeh Skewers with a Smoked Aubergine Mayo
Chef Top Tip
"The ideal time to enjoy these tasty skewers is from a summer BBQ, but really they’re great to enjoy any time - come rain or shine! The smoked aubergine mix is known in the Middle East as baba ganoush , it can be bought from middle east delis and good supermarkets. Serve on a nice salad of your choice, such as a roasted vegetable couscous, for example."
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 75ml tahini paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 x 250g pack tempeh
- 250g smoked or plain firm tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dukkah blend
- Fresh watercress to garnish
- Lemon wedges to serve
For the smoked aubergine mayo:
- 100g smoked aubergine (baba ganoush)
- 100ml mayonnaise
- 50ml thick natural yoghurt
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Firstly make the smoked aubergine mayo by placing all the ingredients together in a bowl, mixing well and seasoning to taste. Place to one side.
- Place the harissa, paprika, tahini, garlic and salt in a bowl, mix together well.
- Cut the tempeh and tofu into large equal size cubes, about 2.5 cm in size.
- Add to the bowl and toss to coat evenly.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate, or, if possible overnight.
- Pre heat a char grill or pan grill to a high heat.
- Thread pieces of tempeh and tofu equally onto metal (or soaked bamboo) skewers
- Brush liberally with the oil, place on the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side until golden and lightly charred.
- Serve with the smoked aubergine mayo and sprinkled with the dukkah, alongside your choice of salads.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.