Roasted Buckwheat, Pepper & Beetroot Salad with Bloody Mary Vinaigrette
Chef Top Tip
"Salads are enjoyed throughout the year, this one is a winter favourite of mine. The earthy flavours work extremely well together. If buckwheat is not available, bulgur wheat will work equally well."
- 275g buckwheat
- 425ml vegetable bouillon
- 4 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and quartered
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and quartered
- 4 small cooked beetroots, cut into wedges
- 2 tb olive oil
- 250g cooked chickpeas
For the vinaigrette:
- 75ml tomato juice
- ½ tsp celery salt
- Dash of tabasco
- 75 ml olive oil
- 1 tb vodka (optional)
- 2 tb freshly chopped tarragon
- Heat a dry frying pan on a high heat, add the buckwheat and lightly toast in the pan, tossing constantly so the grains don’t burn.
- Pour over the hot bouillon, bringing to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for a further 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175c
- In a bowl toss the peppers and onions with the olive oil, place in a roasting tin, cover with foil and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- When cooked, remove peppers to a bowl, cover with cling film tightly and leave to steam for 5 minutes, before removing the skin from the peppers.
- Combine all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a bowl, season to taste.
- Place the peeled peppers, cooked buckwheat, chickpeas, onions and beetroot in a bowl; pour over the dressing, tossing well and seasoning to taste.
- Leave to chill before serving.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.