Portobello Mushroom & Lentil Bolognaise (Gluten Free)
Serves: 4 (6 child portions)
Chef Top Tip
"Spaghetti bolognaise is undoubtedly a national favourite and mid-week staple these days; so it makes a fantastic change to replace the meat with a healthy vegetarian inspired lentil sauce."
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g cooked brown lentils
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 800g chopped tomatoes in juice
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pack Dr Schaer gluten free spaghetti
- 50g freshly grated vegetarian parmesan (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, when hot add the onions and garlic then cook until softened - about 8-10 minutes.
- Raise the heat, add the cooked lentils, mushrooms and smoked paprika; fry together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and bring to the boil.
- Add the thyme and oregano, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and thicker in consistency.
- Stir in the freshly chopped parsley and season to taste.
- Cook the spaghetti for 10-12 minutes and drain in a colander.
- Divide the cooked pasta onto serving plates, spoon over the lentil and mushroom sauce, sprinkle with the grated parmesan and serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.