Kaju Korma with Steamed Vegetables and Coconut Chilli Chutney
Chef Top Tip
"A mildly spiced Indian curry with a wonderful rich, fragrant flavour. The sauce is great made a couple of days before, it improves with age as the flavours become even richer. Serve over your favourite selection of steamed seasonal vegetables."
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5cm root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g cashew nuts, ground finely
- 6 green chillies, halved and deseeded
- 150ml coriander chutney
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 200ml coconut milk
- 600g vegetables of your choice for steaming (e.g. courgettes, baby corn, broccolis, French beans)
For the coconut chilli chutney:
- 50g cashew nuts
- 240g desiccated coconut
- 4 green chillies, halved and deseeded
- 5cm root ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add cumin, peppercorns, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom pods; cook for 2 minutes until the seeds begin to pop.
- Add the onion and cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Add the ginger, garlic and cook for further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the ground cashew nuts, chillies and coriander chutney; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, then transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Return to the pan, pour in the coconut milk and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the vegetables of your choice.
For the coconut chutney:
- Place the cashew nuts in a blender and process until fine.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with 100ml of water and blitz until smooth.
- Serve the steamed vegetables with saffron infused rice, spooning the sauce over the top and with the coconut chutney on the side.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.