Green Papaya, Buckwheat & Cashew Salad
Chef Top Tip
"This is a twist on a classic Thai green papaya salad called Som Tam. It is wonderfully fresh-tasting, with all the elements of classic Thai cooking. You should prepare this salad immediately before serving, or else the papaya will lose its firm crunchy texture."
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 120g cashew nuts, roasted
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g unripe green papaya, peeled, finely shredded or coarsely grated
- 75g green beans, cut in 1cm lengths
- 12 red cherry tomatoes
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 50g frozen coriander leaves
- 50ml lime juice
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 125g buckwheat grain, cooked
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- Place the chillies, half the cashew nuts and garlic on a mortar and pound together roughly.
- If you don’t have a mortar to hand, you could process briefly in a small coffee grinder or blender. The resultant mixture should be coarse, not smooth.
- In a bowl, place the shredded green papaya, shallots, beans and tomatoes, add the lime juice, sugar, tamarind paste and fish sauce.
- Add the cooked buckwheat, the remaining cashew nuts and coriander leaves
- Toss well together and serve immediately.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.