Fire Roasted Ratatouille Salad with Crumbled Goats Cheese, Capers and Olives
Chef Top Tip
"Ratatouille sometimes fails to deliver if the vegetables are overcooked and mushy. In this salad version, ideal for a warm summer salad or BBQ side dish, the barbecued vegetables are kept slightly crunchy to retain bite and flavour. The capers and the tangy dressing add a little piquancy, to round the vegetables off wonderfully well."
- 1 aubergine
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 red peppers
- 3 ripe firm tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp baby capers, rinsed & drained
- 100g firm goats cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 50g black olives
- Fresh basil leaves to finish
- Slice the aubergine and courgettes into 1cm rounds.
- Halve and seed the peppers, halve the tomatoes and onion.
- Reserve half the olive oil, using the rest to brush over the vegetables.
- Cook the vegetables on a hot BBQ or char-grill for 15 minutes, until just tender and slightly blackened.
- Place the tomatoes and peppers in a plastic bag and tie it up, leave for 5 minutes to loosen their skins, then peel them and cut into thick strips.
- Slice the onion halves, so that the slices separate into strips.
- Place all the vegetables in a serving bowl.
- In another bowl mix the vinegar, remaining oil and garlic together, along with the capers and olives.
- Pour over the vegetables, gently tossing together; scatter over the crumbled goats cheese and basil then serve immediately.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.