Crispy Mexican Jerk Tofu Tacos with Green Yoghurt Mayo
Chef Top Tip
"This recipe is full of zingy flavours and the cool yoghurt mayo blend really sets the dish off!"
- 300g Mexican tofu
- 50ml jerk marinade
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 100ml milk
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp frozen coriander, thawed and chopped
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 150g diced avocado
- 1 green pepper, shredded
- 75ml good quality mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp thick set natural yoghurt
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 taco shells to serve
- Cut the tofu into eight equally sized thick slices.
- Mix the jerk marinade, onion, spring onion and lime juice in a bowl - add the tofu slices and carefully coat with the mixture. Place covered in a fridge overnight.
- Mix the egg, milk and chopped coriander together in a bowl
- Gently remove the tofu from its marinade pass through the egg mix and then into the panko crumbs. Brush off any excess.
- Deep fry the tofu pieces in hot oil until golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes, then remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Mix the mayonnaise and yoghurt with the green chilli.
- Fill the taco shells equally with some iceberg lettuce in the base, then topped with the cucumber, green pepper and avocado.
- Top each with a fried piece of jerk tofu and a good dollop of green chilli yoghurt mayo alongside to serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.