St Valentines Red Velvet Cake
Chef Top Tip
"A stunning red sponge cake with white icing, which uses beetroot powder in place of artificial food colouring to create the distinctive look of this rather special cake - also suitable for gluten free diets."
For the cake:
- 50g beetroot powder (can be adjusted depending on colour or flavour)
- 150g butter
- 150g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 eggs
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 125g gluten free plain white flour
- 3 tbsp milk
For the frosted icing:
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g cream cheese
- 200g icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the baking powder, beetroot powder, flour and milk.
- Divide the mixture between two oiled and lined 20cm round baking tins.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the cakes out on to a wire rack to cool.
- Soften the butter then beat this together with the cream cheese.
- Beat in the icing sugar and vanilla.
- Spread a large spoonful on one of the cold sponges.
- Place the second sponge on top.
- Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.