Breakfast Seed Bars
Serves: Makes 18 bars
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 100g sesame seeds
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g dried cranberries
- 100g dried blueberries
- 100g gluten-free porridge oats
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 x 397g tin condensed milk
- 150g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / gas mark 4. Line a 24cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
- Place the seeds, fruit, oats, sugar and spices in a large bowl and mix well.
- Put the condensed milk and butter into a bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water, melt together until well blended and hot. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Stir the butter mixture into the fruit and seeds and mix really well.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and pack down lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove from the oven, cool and cut into bars.
Key Nutritional benefits:
- Provides 22% of the recommended daily protein intake per 100g
- A fantastic source of magnesium, with 42% of the recommended intake
- An excellent source of B vitamins, especially vitamin B1 (39% of RNI), B2 (23% of RNI), B6 (17% of RNI) and B12 (23% of RNI)
- A great source of zinc, copper and calcium, with 31%, 41% and 29% of each respectively, per 100g
- Government recommended macro nutrient energy split:
- Protein 13%, Carbs 57%, Fats 30%
- Product macro nutrient energy split:
- Protein 11%, Carbs 33%, Fats 56%
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.